Social media is an ever-growing and evolving landscape with new platforms launching and new features being released on a frequent basis. Being able to reach your target audience on the right platform with the right feature or placement is crucial. It may feel overwhelming to try to keep up with the continual changes without committing significant time – these nine tips will help you stay up to speed without sacrificing too much time.
Spend Time on Social Media Every Day
Try to set aside 10 minutes every day to scroll through your brand’s social media feeds. This is a great way to see what people are talking about, what’s trending today, and what changes are happening. Tips To use your time efficiently:
- Customize your feeds so that you can easily see relevant and trending content/topics.
- Save articles to read for later so you can revisit when you have more time.
- Ask your team to also spend 10 minutes a day on social media and share interesting findings/articles amongst your team regularly.
- Familiarize yourself with new social platforms, even if you don’t intend to regularly use them, to understand new consumer trends
Use SEO to Find Places Where Your Business Could Fill a Market Gap
Use tools like SEMrush, Keyword Hero, Screaming Frog, or SEOquake to see what your customers are searching for in your industry and vertical, analyzing their behaviors at various stages in the funnel, and understanding nuances between various types of consumers. Using keyword and search research will not only help you stay on top of trends, but can also help guide your brand’s content creation and create best practices.
Utilize Customer Feedback
Solicit customer feedback via surveys and customer interactions on your business’s social media pages. Surveys and feedback will help you to better understand your audience, their needs, and their interests, allowing your team to provide even better customer support and service. Additionally, feedback from your customers and social media followers helps you identify what type of content resonates with/performs best.
Ideas of questions to ask:
- What’s one feature/product/service you’d like us to start offering?
- What [BRAND/COMPANY] product can you not live without?
- What kind of [BRAND/COMPANY] content would you like to learn about?
- What’s your struggle with _________?
Of course, once you receive feedback, you need to apply it
- Your customers have the best pulse on your products and services and may think of things you didn’t. Listen to their suggestions of how to improve current offerings, things they’d like to see, or new ideas.
- Don’t ignore negative feedback. Negative feedback is an opportunity to understand pain points, make improvements, and improve customer service.
- Incorporate feedback into your product roadmap.
- Thank your customers who provide positive feedback. These people will become positive advocates for your brand.
Keep an Eye on What Your Competitors Are Doing
Set aside 10 minutes a week to look at what your competitors are posting and promoting. Ensure you derive inspiration regarding emerging trends in your industry, or even some of your personal favorite brands, but are not copying content. Share your unique POV and showcase the expertise of your brand.
Subscribe to Trade Journals, Publications, Newsletters and Magazines
Schedule time on your calendar weekly to read through your subscriptions to keep on top of the latest trends and changes.
Some good publications that frequently share the latest and greatest on social trends include:
Join LinkedIn Groups
LinkedIn Groups are a great way to network with other business owners and social media enthusiasts. You’ll be able to ask questions of your peers to learn from their experiences and discover new social media sites/trends. Some great groups to join include “Social media Marketing Group by Connect365.io”, “Digital Marketing: Social Media, Search, Mobile, & more”, and “Digital Marketing.”
Attend Conferences Monthly or Quarterly (whether in-person or virtual!)
Get the most up-to-date and relevant information about social media trends and advice from industry experts. Conferences are a great way to network and interface with other professionals in the social media industry who have different backgrounds.
Stay Current with Twitter and TikTok Trends
Twitter and TikTok function differently in terms of the type of content and algorithms than the other social media platforms. Here are some tips to help stay on top of what’s trending in both platforms:
- Create a stream on Twitter with hashtags such as #socialmediamarketing, #smchat, or #TwitterTip to help understand what to expect in the coming weeks.
- Follow social media marketing influencers on Twitter and LinkedIn (sometimes discovered through hashtags!) and spend time reading their content.
- The “For You” page is a great place to start to see trendy and viral videos but this should not be the only place to look for trends.
- Hashtags help people find relevant content (think #mentalhealth, #prank, or #taylorswift). The most-used hashtags in video captions are the best place to see what is trending on TikTok. Many users will often use hashtags relevant to their niche in addition to one or two trending hashtags to help boost their content organically.
- Keep an eye on challenges on the platform. Users are actively creating and engaging in challenges, which can create new trends. Many challenges include lip-syncing, dancing, or skits.
- Observe what influencers on Tik Tok are posting. Influencers and celebrity posts on the platform will be popular in addition to clueing you in to what is trending.
Commit to Learning
The world of social media is always growing and changing. By spending time daily or weekly on social media platforms and news, you’ll be able to have a firm grasp on trends and changes.
Staying on top of social media trends can be a daunting task. Using these 10 tips can help you use your time efficiently and stay in the know.
Written by: Anissa Reko, Social Media Specialist